Today we meet with someone who’s been helping us enroll kids in school. Originally she had found schools for all 4 kids (ages 4-11) on the same block with the same principal, but something went sideways (probably they didn’t want the hassle of 4 non-english speakers), and only Max got in, so she found another elementary school for Charlie and Ian, and we’re still looking for Tristan.
How are we figuring all this out? Christine’s here on a student visa. She’s excited to learn Italian and will be taking classes starting in a couple of weeks at Scuola Leonardo da Vinci here in Siena, and they’ve been so helpful.
Today we’re meeting with someone over ice cream with our questions which include:
- What time do they go to school?
- What time do they come home?
- Will we walk with them or will they walk on their own?
- Are any of the schools near a grocery-store? We don’t have a car and 6 people eat a LOT…
- Do they come home for lunch?
- Will Christine be able to bring them in or pick them up, or will that conflict with her school?
- What are we going to do about Ian?
Tomorrow we’re going to go to one (or maybe both?) of the schools and fill out paperwork to officially enroll them.
I’m really excited to see how they do. I’m hopeful it’s going to be a scary but great experience for them and it’s certainly the best way to learn the language (Christine’s school is also full immersion)… but I’m open to whatever happens. Ian’s been asking if he could homeschool in the states for a while so I wouldn’t be surprised if it came up at least once here too…